20 April 2010

† Dangerous Food For Your Dogs †

Here's some fact that you should know about the food that you mustn't give to your dogs because it may harm them.


Alcohol: Just like human, alcohol has the same effect on a dog's liver and brain. A small amount of alcohol is enough to cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, problems with coordination, difficulty breathing, coma, even death. And, the smaller the dog, the greater the effect. So if you're a drinker, please keep your brew away.

Onions: Small amount of onions may be okay for your dogs. However, it is found that large amount of onion may destroy a dog's red blood cells. Thus be careful with products that contain onions or even onion powders.

Caffeine: I've experienced palpitation and tremor after drinking 'Ipoh Old Town White Coffee'. Caffeine is no doubt fatal for a dog. Dogs that have ingested caffeine in high amount may experience heart palpitation, muscle tremor, rapid breathing and even fitting. Beware, there's no antidote.

Grapes & Raisins: Small and delicious but a high quantity may cause kidney failure in your dogs. The symptoms of grape toxicity are repeated vomiting, lethargic and depression.

Ice Cream & Dairy Products: Some small size dogs' gastrointestinal tract are not design to absorb highly condensed dairy products and this may cause diarrhea or other symptoms of GI upsets.

Nuts: Some human are allergic to nuts. So we can't exclude the dogs as well. Nuts can kill a dog.

Candy: Some of these candies contain xylitol. Xylitol can increase circulation of insulin in your dog's blood stream and cause your dog's blood sugar to drop (hypoglycemia).

Chocolate: Theobromine in chocolate is a poison to your dogs. Never let your dog taste or even lick any chocolate including white chocolate if you want them to live.

Peaches & Plums: If you're aware of this, the seed of peach and plum contains cyanide and these are poisonous to both human and dogs.

Raw Eggs: I used to think that raw eggs are good. Two problems that you might face if you feed your dog with raw eggs. Firstly, food poisoning caused by bacteria. Secondly, avidin (an enzyme exists in raw eggs) will interferes with the absorption of vitamin B and causing skin problem in dogs.


Your Own Medicines: Keep these away from both your dogs and children. Its a basic!


No comments:

Post a Comment